This blog is about books, eBooks , my memories .

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

FROM STONE GATE; MERRY CHRISTMAS





ســـــــــــــــــــلام

هـــــــــــــــــورا

------------------------------------------

19th December Dear Daddy-Long-Legs,
You never answered my question and it was very important.

ARE YOU BALD?


I have it planned exactly what you look like--very satisfactorily--until I reach the top of your head, and then I AM stuck. I can't decide whether you have white hair or black hair or sort of sprinkly grey hair or maybe none at all.

Here is your portrait




But the problem is, shall I add some hair?

Would you like to know what color your eyes are? They're grey and your eyebrows stick out like a porch roof ( beetling , they're called in novels), and your mouth is a straight line with a tendency to turn down at the corners. Oh, you see, I know! You're a snappy old thing with a temper. ( Chapel bell.)
اسم

beetle سوسک
Chapel  کلیسای کوچک، نمازخانه
temper طبیعت، خلق و خو ، سرشت
tendency  گرایش ، تمایل ، میل، توجه ، استعداد
----------------
صفت
stuck  مغرور ، خودبین
beetle سوسک وار
snappy  فعال، با روحیه، سرزنده

---------------------
فعل
to stick out پیش آمدگی داشتن ، جلو آمدن
to beetle آویخته شدن


من تصویر شما را آنطور که خودم خیال می کنم نقاشی کرده ام ، اما وقتی به سر شما می رسم ، آن وقت نمی دانم باید چه کار کنم ، نمی دانم موی سر شما سفید است یا سیاه یا جو گندمی یا بطور کلی طاس هستید . ملاحظه بفرمایید این عکس شما هست. حالا مسأله ی اینجاست که باید مو روی سرتان بگذارم یا نگذارم.

دوست دارید بدانید چشم های شما را چطور کشیده ام؟ رنگش خاکستری است و ابروهای شما سیخ ایستاده و دهانتان یک خط صاف و راست است که دو طرف آن کمی به طرف پایین متمایل است.

ملاحظه می فرمایید که می دانم چطور است.
شما پیرمرد با روح ، خونگرم و خوشخویی هستید.

( زنگ کلیسا را زدند)

------------------------------------------

12 نوامبر

بابا لنگ دراز عزیز،

دیروز ما سال اولی ها را در بازی بسکتبال شکست دادیم، البته ما از کارمان خیلی راضی هستیم. اما اگر می شد سال سومی ها را هم شکست بدهیم چه خوب بود. من برای این کار حاضر بودم تمام بدنم از ضربه سیاه شود و یک هفته در بستر بیفتم و تمام بدنم را کمپرس کنند، اما این افتخار نصیب ما بشود.

سالی از من دعوت کرده که تعطیلات کریسمس را با او بگذرانم. خانواده ی او در "روستر" واقع در " ماساچوست" هستند.

شما تصور نمی کنید که خیلی نسبت به من محبت کرده است؟ خیلی دوست دارم با او بروم. من تاکنون میان یک خانواده ی درست و حسابی نبوده ام. البته غیر از " سمپل ها" . خب، آنها خیلی پیر هستند و آن طور ها هم به حساب نمی آیند. اما خانواده ی ماک براید پر از بچه است. حداقل دو سه تا بچه را که دارند. یک پدر ، یک مادر ، یک مادر بزرگ و یک گربه کپل یعنی یک خانواده ی کامل هستند.

خوب است چمدان را بست و برای تعطیلات رفت. خیلی جالب است. هر چه باشد بهتر از در مدرسه ماندن است. اگر این طور بشود من از ذوق می میرم.

زنگ هفتم است، باید برای تمرین برویم. من در نمایشنامه شکر گزاری بازی می کنم. در نقش یک شاهزاده با نیم تنه ی مخمل و موهای حلقه حلقه ، عالی نیست؟

ارادتمند
ج.ا

شنبه

می خواهید بدانید من شبیه چه هستم ؟ من عکس سه نفر: سالی و جولیا و خودم را که لئونورا گرفته است برای شما می فرستم.
آن که مویش بور است و دارد می خندد سالی است، آن که قدش بلند است و مغرورانه گردنش را سیخ کرده ، جولیا هست و کوچولویی که باد موهایش را در صورتش ریخته جودی است . اما خود جودی خیلی بهتر از عکسش هست. اینجا آفتاب توی چشمش افتاده است.



---------------------------------------------------



'STONE GATE, WORCESTER, MASS.,

31st December                     
Dear Daddy-Long-Legs,

I meant to write to you before and thank you for your Christmas cheque, but life in the McBride household is very absorbing, and I don't seem able to find two consecutive minutes to spend at a desk.

I bought a new gown--one that I didn't need, but just wanted. My Christmas present this year is from Daddy-Long-Legs; my family just sent love.

I've been having the most beautiful vacation visiting Sallie. She lives in a big old-fashioned brick house with white trimmings set back from the street--exactly the kind  of house that I used to look at so curiously when I was in the John Grier Home, and wonder what it could be like inside. I never expected to see with my own eyes--but here I am! Everything is so comfortable and restful and homelike; I walk from room to room and drink in the furnishings.

It is the most perfect house for children to be brought up in; with shadowy nooks for hide and seek, and open fire places for pop-corn, and an attic to romp in on rainy days and slippery banisters with a comfortable flat knob at the bottom, and a great big sunny kitchen, and a nice, fat , sunny cook who has lived in the family thirteen years and always saves out a piece of dough for the children to bake. Just the sight of such a house makes you want to be a child all over again.

And as for families! I never dreamed they could be so nice. Sallie has a father and mother and grandmother, and the sweetest three-year-old baby sister all over curls, and a medium-sized brother who always forgets to wipe his feet, and a big, good-looking brother named Jimmie, who is a junior at Princeton.

We have the jolliest times at the table--everybody laughs and jokes and talks at once, and we don't have to say grace beforehand. It's a relief not having to thank Somebody for every mouthful you eat. ( I dare say I'm blasphemous; but you'd be, too, if you'd offered as much obligatory thanks as I have.)

Such a lot of things we've done--I can't begin to tell you about them. Mr. McBride owns a factory and Christmas eve he had a tree for the employees' children. It was in the long packing-room which was decorated with evergreens and holly. Jimmie McBride was dressed as Santa Claus and Sallie and I helped him distribute the presents.

Dear me, Daddy, but it was a funny sensation! I felt as benevolent as a Trustee of the John Grier home. I kissed on sweet, sticky little boy--but I don't think I patted any of them on the head!

And two days after Christmas, they gave a dance at their own house for ME.

It was the first really true ball I ever attended--college doesn't count where we dance with girls. I had a new white evening gown ( your Christmas present--many thanks) and long white gloves and white satin slippers. The only drawback to my perfect, utter, absolute happiness was the fact that Mrs. Lippett couldn't see me leading the cotillion with Jimmie McBride. Tell her about it, please, the next time you visit the J.G. H.

Yours ever,
Judy Abbott

PS. Would you be terribly displeased, Daddy, if I didn't turn out to be a Great Author after all, but just a Plain Girl?






M.T

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Text Widget

Copyright © iIslandbooks | Powered by Blogger

Design by Anders Noren | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com